Establishing a Guardianship can become very complicated. The basic steps are listed below; however you may need help with this process. You can contact the Self-Help Center or ask a lawyer to help you.

Step 1: Make sure you have all the forms you need

  • To establish a Guardianship of the Person or the Estate, you need the forms listed below.
  • You can download the forms by clicking on the form number below. You can also access them from the Judicial Council’s Forms page or through the TurboCourt link above.
Form Number Name of Form
GC-110(P) Petition for Appointment of Temporary Guardian of the Person (TEMPORARY)
GC-140 Order Appointing Temporary Guardian
GC-150 Letters of Temporary Guardianship or Conservatorship
GC-210(P) Petition for Appointment of Guardian of the Person
GC-210(CA) Guardianship Petition - Child Information Attachment
GC-211 Consent of Proposed Guardian
GC-212 Confidential Guardian Screening Form
GC-248 Duties of Guardian
GC-250 Letters of Guardianship
GC-240 Order Appointing Guardian
GC-020 Notice of Hearing - Guardianship or Conservatorship
GC-020(MA) Attachment to Notice of Hearing Proof of Service by Mail
GC-020(P) Proof of Personal Service of Notice of Hearing
13-16503-360 Certificate of Assignment (local form)
SB-13548 Referral for CII/DVROS/ICMS Report (local form)
SB-18074 Guardianship Questionnaire (local form)
MC-030 Declaration
13-10840-360 Request to Excuse Notice with Due Diligence Declaration (local form)

Step 2: Fill out your forms completely

Samples can be emailed to you by request. 

Step 3: File forms with the Probate Clerk’s Office

  • Submit the original + 2 copies of ALL the completed paperwork to the clerk’s office in San Bernardino at 247 W. 3rd Street, 2nd Floor. You will need to pay the fee or submit a Request to Waive Court Fees.
  • Ensure that the necessary people receive legal notice of the court date and receive a copy of your paperwork.
  • Service must be completed at least 15 days prior to your court date.
  • If a person signs a Consent form (GC-211), then you don’t need to give them notice.

Step 4: Give notice of the hearing to certain people and agencies

The law says you must “give notice” to certain people, relatives and agencies. This means someone — not you — must “serve” (give) copies of your Court forms either personally or by mail to those people and agencies so they will know you are asking to be the guardian of the child.

You must do this even if you think they don’t care or may disagree with you.

There are rules for giving notice. You must follow them carefully. Otherwise, you may have to go back to Court.